Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day or D-Day?

Today is February 14th, Valentine's Day.

For some people, it is among the greatest days of the year.  For others, it is among the worst.  And of course there are plenty of people who are totally apathetic about it.

If I had to put myself in one of these overgeneralized categories, it would be the last one.  I am neither in a romantic relationship nor incredibly spiteful toward those people who are in relationships, so I can't say I belong in the first or second group respectively.

Let me reiterate: I am not bitter about my single status.  My lovely friends reassure me that the right guy will come along eventually.  And I think they're right!  I just have to trust that someone other than me has a hand in it.  Once I'm out of school, I think guys will be less prone to be intimidated by my intelligence.  Particularly if I don't ever get a job!  (The last two sentences are in jest, by the way.)

All that being said, I see where the many people who loathe Valentine's Day are coming from.  As noted in my title, the abbreviation "V-Day" bears a striking resemblance to "D-Day."  A little history refresher for my readers, D-Day was June 6, 1944, the day the Allies stormed the beaches of Normandy, France.  The mission was a success, but there were a lot of casualties along the way.

Forgive the loose and possibly distasteful analogy, but that's kind of exactly how Valentine's Day is for single people.  Every way we look on Valentine's Day, we are subjected to displays of love that are not for us (like enemy fire).  It can really hurt sometimes; thousands, if not millions, of emotional casualties I tell you!

So, a few words of advice to those of you who are taken: try not to rub your happy relationship in other peoples' faces just because it's a holiday.  But please do enjoy the day and feel extra grateful that you have somebody who loves you.  Valentine's Day always reminds me that I have plenty of people in my life who love me, even if it's not romantic love.  V-Day is a holiday for all sorts of love!

I don't even feel like discussing the whole argument that Valentine's Day is an evil plot by the greeting card, flower, candy, and jewelry companies.  We all know they make bank off this holiday!

However, I do want to include a little something from my favorite movie, "500 Days of Summer."  The main character Tom writes greeting cards for a living.  He's especially good at it when he's high on love, but his work suffers when his relationship with Summer goes sour.  One day Tom just can't take it anymore, and he goes on a bit of a rant about what "service" greeting card companies provide.

"This is lies. We are liars. Think about it. Why do people buy cards? It's not because they want to say how they feel. People buy cards because they can't say they feel or are afraid to. And we provide the service that let's them off the hook. You know what? I say to hell with it. Let's level with America. Or at least let them speak for themselves. Right?"


I'll leave it to you to interpret that.  So I guess that's all, folks!

P.S.  Happy birthday to two of my best friends Katie and Lauren.  I am glad I can focus on the fact that today is both of your birthdays when I don't want to think about Valentine's Day! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment