Sunday, April 10, 2011

#WINNING

What a week I've had!  I think the best word I can use to describe it is intense.  It was amazing at the beginning, terrrrrible in the middle, and then amazing again at the end.  (Skip to the end of this post if you don't want to read about the boring, terrible part.)

You already know about the beginning the week, the highlight of my life. Guster!  If you don't know about that, read the miniature novel in the post below.

I got back to my apartment from the concert around 1 AM.  I was on such a high, but I had to study for my math test that was at 9:30.  Icky.  I had essentially resigned myself to failure, but after far too little sleep and very little studying, I ended up making the only A I've made on a math test all semester!  Obviously I credit Guster for this.  I couldn't stop smiling throughout the test even when I didn't know what I was doing.

After math and GBA, I came back to my apartment and wrote most of my previous blog post before returning to campus for photography.  We were presenting our third critiques of the semester.  The assignment was to take pictures of a room in our home/apartment; I hadn't been especially excited about the topic, but my pictures ended up being pretty good.  What made me even more happy was that everybody's pictures were great!  It's been a long road, but I feel like everybody in that class has become an artist.  Hopefully we'll all have improved even more by our final critique (Self portraits... eek!).

Here are some of my pictures from this critique!







I finished my post that night and then studied and did homework all Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.  I even had to skip rock climbing to study for my finance test that was Wednesday evening... that I ended up getting a B on despite my best efforts.  Oh well!

After my finance test, it was time to start my written case for GBA 490 that was due Thursday morning. Procrastinating was a very bad decision.  I was glad Jonathan was at Bashinsky to keep me entertained while I worked until midnight.  But he wasn't there to keep me entertained at my apartment where I didn't finish my case until 4 AM.

Sleep deprived doesn't even begin to describe how I felt after this week!  I was exhausted.  I went home to nap for a couple hours before my mom got to town for honors week festivities.

Here is where this week rounded the final corner and came back to awesome!  Mom got into town, we all got ready, and then Mom, Kenny, Scotty, and I headed to Dr. Helms's house for the economics and finance department barbecue.

This was my third year at the barbecue, so we knew to get there early to get food and seats.  Normally the barbecue is more casual, and then there is a formal awards ceremony on Friday morning.  This year, however, they decided just to have the awards ceremony at the barbecue.

I already knew what award I was getting, the Murray Havens Award, because they had sent out letters that told us.  I was excited because it was for top senior in economics or finance (another girl also won for top senior in arts and sciences economics).  Not bad, huh?

But then things got interesting.  Dr. Helms started talking about the Austin Cup, the award given to the top senior in all of the C&BA.  Each department nominates one student, and then the faculty gets together to debate who is the top student overall.  Dr. Helms announced that I was the nominee (OMG!) for the department, and he called me to the front of this yard.

He went on to describe the process of selecting the Austin Cup winner to everybody who was in attendance.  And then, he said that I WON.

I was in absolute shock!  He pulled out this big trophy and handed it to me.  I still couldn't believe it.  I haven't won a big award like that ever.  I think the closest I've come was being valedictorian of the 5th grade. ;)



My family was very proud (and proud that I didn't cry), as was Dr. Helms.  Random people kept coming up and congratulating me.  I felt famous.

Mom and I celebrated with some Big Kahuna wine later that night.  It was fabulous.

I am a winner.  Winning.  (I swear I'm not bragging.)  The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment